Sunday, January 31, 2010

Making Jewelry

Hey Cousins!
Welcome to Cousin's Club Magazine.
In this magazine, we can do things like share our collections, talk about school, church and friends.

Do you want to write an article? An advice column? Share a poem, joke or story?
Just email me your ideas!

For this edition, I'd like to give you some ideas for making jewelry.

Making jewelry for my American Girl Doll is one of my favorite things to do.
Here are some ideas for you to try!

Good Luck Charm
Cut a ball chain to a small size.
Put a bead on it and close the chain.
You can hang it anywhere like a belt loop or on your backpack.

Winter Wonderland Necklace and Anklet
Use memory wire for the necklace.
Memory wire is fun because it will keep its shape so you don't need a clasp.
Slide square and see-through beads onto the wire in any pattern you like.
Ask your mom or dad to bend the ends with pliers so the ends don't scratch you.
Stretch the wire around your doll with the opening in back. It will snap right into place!
For the anklet, use an 8 inch piece of stretchy plastic cord. Clamp one end with a clip so the beads don't fall off the other end. Bead for 4 1/2 inches. Tie off the anklet.

Peace Bracelet
Use an 8 inch piece of plastic cord.
Tie peace charm into the middle with a double knot so it doesn't move around.
Bead on both sides of the charm for 3 and 3/4 inches.
Tie it off with a tight knot.

My Favorite Things Necklace
On a string big enough for your own neck, put beads and charms on that represent your favorite things.

Here is May wearing the Winter Wonderland and Peace jewelry.

Cousins Club Challenge:
Send in your jewelry ideas and pictures! The one with the best jewelry idea wins an exclusive Lucky Bee Bee Charm!!!

Comment Corner:
I want to know what kind of jewelry you like. Do you like to make jewelry like me? Do you collect Lucky Bee Bee charms like I do? If so, what are your favorites? Finally, what are the jewelry trends at your school? For example, I have noticed a lot of girls wearing bottle cap necklaces in my school.

Happy New Year!
Love,
Madeline

7 comments:

  1. The memory necklaces are such a great idea! I can't wait to do this with Sydney and Bella. I'm going to show them your blog when they get home. They will love all the idea's. I better run to the craft store before they get home. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! I hope I'm ok to be a part of the cousins' club. I'd love to hear more about the bottlecap jewelry that is so popular in your school. Are they made from plastic bottlecaps or the metal kind? I love you. grandma lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Maddie. I love your blog. If I didn't love being your grandma so much, I'd want to be your cousin. Love you lots. Grandma Lowe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Maddie, In answer to your question, "What kind of jewlery do you like?" I love antique jewlery, especially Art Nouveau, well designed horse jewlery, and charms. I've been collecting charms for my bracelet for years. Whenever I go some place new I look for one. When I was your age my grandmother bought me a redwood horse pin and when I was a little older my Aunt Lauretta bought me a horse pin with my initials engraved on it. I still have those. Next time you visit ask to see my old jewelry box that Aunt Lauretta gave me. I am going to learn how to make jewlery. Aunt Diana and I went to a gem and mineral show where I bought some wonderful beads. Now I need someone to teach me how to string them properly. When I was in school lockets were a special thing to have. I had one and put a picture of a horse in it. (You were to put a picture of the one you love in it.)Love you lots CA Grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is Paige:
    I'll try to get my own account tonight but I have to post under my Mom's right now.
    I like Lucky Bee Bee Charms and Charm it's. Most of the girls at my school wear head bands and friendship necklaces.
    My favorite Lucky Bee Bee charm is my russian doll charm.
    Jessie and I make bracelets out of memory wire. Jessie thinks it's prettier to make a pattern but I like to just string the beads on not in a pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is Cousin Jessie:
    I love to make jewelery especially bracelets and earing's once for Christmas I made my best friend lea three pairs of earing's and got her a aeropostail shirt she was so surprised that I tricked her ho and yes I do collect lucky bee bee charms did you know that you can get a Chane for your backpack and I have one so I put my charms on my backpack I love love love the snow globe one with glitter in it and the snowman in it , my school loves pearl stuff and home made stuff everyone thinks there so cool. J.F.Y. Aunt April I need a picture of max p.s. JFK means just for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is Jessie
    guess what me and Adam are going to go to the movies on Monday I can't what. Also me and lea got to play all day and we made can's in to pencil holder's, and were going to show them off at school on Monday.

    ReplyDelete